Thursday, August 23, 2012

Consuming Whimsy

A few days ago I took my maiden voyage to IKEA. Or, as some people like to say, I lost my IKEA virginity. I'd heard about IKEA, seen it in movies, but I'd never walked through the doors until recently. I really couldn't fathom all the excitement about a furniture store, but then I experienced it on my own and discovered that there simply isn't any accounting for reason when surrounded by cheap Scandinavian doodads made in China.

I got caught up in the consumptive frenzy that is IKEA.

It is important to point out that I'm not an entertainment shopper. By that I mean, I am not someone who shops out of boredom or habit or just for the sheer pleasure of it. I find it tedious and tiring and most of the time, if I go shopping it is because I need to find something specific.

But, lets face it, whether I like to shop or not, I'm still an American and I still buy far more 'stuff' than anyone will ever need. So while I may pride myself on not having to own the latest and greatest gadget, car, or palatial house, I hardly live a Spartan lifestyle. Especially when it comes to shoes. One need only peek inside my closet to know that I have a weakness for shoes. And all around the house my love of whimsy is all too evident. I'm a sucker for cute, silly, little things that have no purpose other than being off beat and unusual. Sadly, I'm as much as product of consumerism as anyone.

Fortunately, IKEA does not carry shoes.

Unfortunately, they do carry large, useless, plastic bowls that light up.

My first trip to IKEA came out of a desire to find a new desk. I have a perfectly fine, but aesthetically lacking, desk and having recently earned a PhD I deemed myself deserving of a new, more attractive, desk. I wanted something clean, simple, and inexpensive and even though I had avoided IKEA since it opened near my home a couple of years ago, the search for a desk seemed to warrant a trip. I truly had no idea what I was in for.

Let's just say that IKEA carries a lot of stuff.

I started feeling overwhelmed in the parking garage with its two levels and instructions on how to shop. The amusement park feel left me pondering if they should sell tickets for admission. Once inside, the cavernous, windowless structure was packed with merchandise and people. I felt a little woozy. Logic would have suggested that going to IKEA on a Saturday wasn't the best idea, but logic hadn't really played into the decision...and there I was.

I allowed myself to be hearded along the shopping path with the other shopping sheep, stopping to look at a desk here, a lamp there. And then, out of nowhere, I saw something I simply couldn't live without. I admit to being lured in by the bright yellow 'CLEARANCE' sign and the seductive $2 pricetag. But what really captivated me was the unassuming bowl that by day appeared to be a large, clear, plastic serving utensil.


But by night, this baby got its solar energy on and became this.


How could I resist? A two dollar bowl that glows in the dark? I got caught up in the moment and although I didn't go home with a desk, I did go home with my great bargain.

It wasn't until later that I started to realize I had no idea what to actually do with the bowl. There it was, my Scandanavian solar bowl, made in China, that served no earthy purpose.

Who doesn't need one of those?

I still don't know what to do with my solar bowl. When my siblings were here I intended to serve them watermelon salsa in it, anticipating the lovely red glow, but we ended up eating all of the salsa before it got dark. And I tried putting tortilla chips in it, but they just blocked the light.

I hate to admit it. I was bested by IKEA and made a completely unnecessary impulse buy.

Last night Steve and I returned to IKEA to purchase the desk that was the impetus for the original shopping trip. I found the one I wanted and headed for the checkout. I was doing very well, ignoring all the cute whimsy until this.


Damn that IKEA and their Scandinavian whimsy made in China. Consumerism wins again.

4 comments:

  1. Remy has the same hook hanging on his wall. It is awesome for holding belts....now I just need to get over there and find one of those bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that just the cutest hook?? Not sure what will hang off mine yet but I'm sure it will come in handy. As will the glow in the dark bowl. They were on clearance though Kai so you'd better run right out to your nearest IKEA to pick one up! And if you figure out what to do with it please let me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and as a Swede, I just have to comment on a post about IKEA! I really like your blog so far and I'm looking forward to reading more :) as for the bowl that glows in the dark -I don't think I've ever seen one of those in a Swedish IKEA! I'll keep my eyes open the next time I go there, 'cause it sounds and looks cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda! I hope you continue to enjoy reading! The glowing bowl is pretty cool, if not entirely necessary. :-) It was a seasonal item so maybe they'll carry them again next summer. They had all kinds of fun solar items for summer. I think I'd enjoy going to IKEA in Sweden!

    ReplyDelete