Wednesday, January 25, 2017

All Together Now....Breathe

I practice a little yoga now and then. Not a lot, because I'm not very good at it. I tend to lose my focus, fall over, and bump into things. I try to do it when I need to, though. One of the things I like most about yoga is that it forces me to breathe. Granted, my autonomic breathing responses are in fine working condition, but yoga forces me to breathe deeply and intentionally, and to actually pay attention to what I otherwise do thousands of times a day. Maybe millions. I've never counted. Anyway, hard core yoga folks call it pranayama, but I call it good old deep breathing. Whatever. I just know it relaxes my body and mind.

It seems to me we need to take a big collective pranayama breath in the United States. The whole country. All together. Breathe in. Hold it. Breathe out.

(Source: Google Images)

What a time to be alive. I remind my children regularly that whatever they missed in Government class in high school, when they were goofing off, flirting, or thinking about something else, is being redeemed during this period of history.  Some day, when they are old, they can tell their kids or grandkids about this crazy, bumpy, turbulent ride through the not so friendly skies of divided.

As the cool kids say, "This shit cray!"

I had the good fortune to walk in the Women's March in Denver the day after Inauguration. It was a beautiful, crisp, Colorado day. I walked with my son and dear friend and 'communed' with the like-minded. As we made our way through the downtown streets, people thanked police officers, smiled at one another, chanted, and sang. Nobody lit a single thing on fire. Well, okay, we did have to wade through occasional clouds of pot smoke (we're in Denver after all!) so I guess something was being lit on fire. But no cars or buildings. I'm glad I did it. We marchers had fun doing something very serious.

I was told, by someone with an opposing view, that protesting is evil. I'm pretty sure it's just our Constitutional right. In addition to the march, I also write my members of Congress on a daily basis, not because I'm a big 'ole troublemaker, but because that is how my voice gets heard. There are plenty of people who didn't march and who likely write their members of Congress on a daily basis, saying the opposite things I say. It's okay. They can. That is what democracy is.

In these contentious, ugly-spirited days, it doesn't feel okay, however, for us to have differing opinions. There is so much vitriolic dogma and biting sarcasm on both sides, we're just talking over one another. How about some grace? A little dose of empathy? Opinions can be expressed without slander. It might do us all good to remember and employ the seemingly ancient art of simply being polite.

After the Women's March, a friend asked me what it was about. His question appeared sincere and I gave him my answer. We didn't discuss it, but I assumed he at least heard me, even if he didn't agree. His question made me think that it would be interesting to post an offer on Facebook to talk with anyone who wanted to know why I chose to march.  I posted it. And not a soul asked. It's hard to know what to make of that. Maybe people are just tired of talking about it. Although based on the number of memes and articles both for and against the march, posted daily, I have to assume people are still talking. Or maybe they are much more interested in expressing their own opinion, than actually finding out about anyone else's. Possibly they are afraid I might say something that would make sense and it would challenge them to think about it.

This election has brought out the worst in America. But we can do better than this. I know we can.

Maybe it is time to start listening. Listening doesn't mean agreeing. It means being quiet long enough to hear the other person. It means trying to understand. Look, I feel strongly about our government today. The truth is, there are a lot of things I'm not ever going agree with. But maybe, if I listened to the heart of the person 'on the other side,' I could get at least understand. I'm probably still going to write my members of Congress on a daily basis. I may even march a few more times. It possible to do those things and listen.

Quite possibly, if we just took the time to stop our strident screaming, we might learn something from one another. We might grow. We might become better people. I'm all about freedom of speech but just because we can, doesn't mean we should. We could all do with a little more self-governing and a little less blasting.

No one is entirely correct in their opinion or ideology. I think the problem is, we are all scared. Scared we won't be heard. Scared for our children, our grandchildren, our future. The truth is, both sides are scared. I know it feels like life or death for some. And, in fact, I believe it is. We simply cannot keep up this constant stress, tension, and fighting, We are all getting tired, and worn down, and increasingly mentally ill.

Let's stop.

I'm not suggesting complacency. Not at all. I'll be fighting for what I believe in like I've never fought before. And I hope people who are of a different mindset will fight for what they believe in too. How about if we just fight the issues and stop fighting each other. We are not each other's enemy. We are better than this. Remember that whole, 'house divided' thing? Yeah. I'm pretty sure it is true.

Be involved. Be active. But please...be kinder.

I suggest the country do a little collective yoga. Breathe in. Hold it. Breathe out. Sure, we might lose our focus, fall over, and bump into each other sometimes. But if we do, let's take a pranayama breath, start over, and find a place of grace.




No comments:

Post a Comment