Thursday, October 29, 2015

The People's Princess

I've made a lot of mistakes in my parenting years. Too many to count. While I don't particularly want to list them all right here, I will confess my most recent faux pas. In my defense, I didn't maim anyone or destroy their psyche. All I did was laugh. Loudly.

It was a Sunday evening and I was sitting outside on the sidewalk watching the lunar eclipse drape the moon in a dark red hue. They call it a blood moon, although frankly, if I saw someone with blood that color, I'd be pretty concerned.  Nevertheless, it was a beautiful evening. Anna had texted me a couple of times and I had responded with truly stupid comments such as, "What? There is a lunar eclipse in Nebraska too??" and, "Tell me what happens next since your eclipse is an hour ahead." These were done for comedic effect and because I often forget to take life seriously. I'd say I'd try harder to approach life more soberly, but let's face it, I won't. 

Anyway, just about the time the entire moon was shrouded in darkness, my cell phone rang. It was Anna telling me she had just found out, by being sprayed with Silly String, she was nominated for college homecoming royalty. I laughed. She says I cackled but that is such an unattractive word. I prefer to think of it as a melodic and charming lilt.

Alright fine. I cackled.

The whole thing seemed uproariously funny. It had never occurred to me that she would be nominated for homecoming royalty. I associate such things with popularity contests, and being popular has never been something Anna aspired to. She desires to be well liked, a good leader, to learn new things, and expand her horizons, but being the popular girl has never much mattered. The irony of it made me....cackle, I guess.

Anna relentlessly drives herself to achieve. This is the girl who, in third grade, having been in home school up to that point, calmly requested that she go to public school because she didn't think I was teaching her enough. When she started public school she wouldn't be content unless enrolled in advanced courses. This is the girl who, at the end of middle school insisted on applying for the IB program in high school despite her parent's recommendation that she relax and enjoy herself. And the girl who, upon turning 16, went out and got a job even though we told her we thought her courses were challenging enough she didn't need an outside job. She worked 20-hours a week, completed the IB program, and made it all look quite breezy. We never worried about her going out and being wild. She didn't rebel that way. She just quietly went about doing what she wanted; none of which involved being popular or the center of attention.

But there she was. Covered in Silly String.

It probably goes without saying that for a young woman who is relatively shy, being homecoming royalty felt a little uneasy. Nevertheless, Anna handled it with typical poise and aplomb. When, at the Friday evening dinner she was crowned Homecoming Princess I tried very hard not to cackle. 


Wearing the cute little crown would have been funny enough, but shortly after the coronation came the realization that she was going to have to be in the homecoming parade the following morning, riding in a convertible and undoubtedly having to do that weird waving thing. This was followed by the realization that the homecoming prince had football warm ups and wouldn't be able to join her.  

Riding in a convertible. By herself. Doing the princess wave. This was definitely not her thing.

To make the parade easier and more fun for her, Parker agreed to help out in typical Griggs fashion by holding the prince's head on a stick and standing in. 


More grace fell on the reluctant princess when, just as it was time for the royalty motorcade to commence, the battery on the shiny red Jaguar died and Anna and Parker were left to walk, providing a much more 'down to earth' style, far more suited to this particular royal couple than regally riding. 

Following the outgoing, stiletto heeled homecoming queen and the equally heeled incoming homecoming queen, both in convertible chariots, came the People's Princess, walking in flat boots and handing out candy.


I'm extraordinarily proud of what Anna has quietly and steadfastly accomplished thus far in life. Going to another state for college wasn't easy for her homebody self, but her soul knew it was where she belonged. While there she has bravely embraced new experiences and relationships and academics, but I believe it is her quiet, compassionate, and dedicated leadership that most prompted her peers to vote for her to wear a sparkly sash and tiara. 

It turns out being voted homecoming royalty wasn't about popularity. It was about leadership. And for that Anna deserved every vote.

I probably shouldn't have cackled.






No comments:

Post a Comment