Monday, November 19, 2012

Mock(yeah)ing(yeah) Bird(yeah)...

Apparently the high school I attended had two stories. I don't actually remember that detail but, a few years ago I discovered that if you go to the school, sit in the parking lot, and bore your children beyond comprehension with your life history, you can marvel at the fact that the building has two stories even if you only remember it having one. Not that the fact my high school had two stories actually matters to anybody. It doesn't. I was just surprised to discover it.

I don't have many memories of high school. I can recall a few details about the era, but can only remember a very small number of actual events inside the school walls. If I try very hard and concentrate very carefully, I think I can muster some recollection of the second story. But not really. And I've yet to come up with a good reason to put in that much effort. Steve thinks the math department must have been on the second floor.

Anyway, all that to say, regardless of the fact I hardly remember anything about high school, I do remember a kiva somewhere in the building where I first saw the movie version of To Kill A Mockingbird.  Until last week, I had only seen the movie that one time, although I've read the book repeatedly.

Last week I saw the movie again. At a real movie theater complete with sugary, sticky floor and popcorn remnants from the previous patrons. I'm only a little freakishly compulsive so I kept my search for leftover bedbugs on the seat to a minimum. Anyway, to mark the 50th anniversary of its release, To Kill a Mockingbird was being shown in theaters. Despite the fact that I'm not much of a movie watcher, I was awfully excited about the whole thing. And, although it isn't a cult movie, this was probably as close as I would ever get to seeing one. I considered dressing up as Boo Radley.

When I first read To Kill a Mockingbird in high school I didn't appreciate its message. I think I missed the point as I sat in classrooms full of all-white students being taught by all-white teachers. Racial oppression wasn't something we thought much about. Granted we had some 'others' who didn't quite fit in; those who, by choice or by nature, were different and who were disliked by the insecure. Still, even though the prevailing message of the story was how wrong unfair judgement is, I don't think, with our shelves stocked full of white bread, most of us really caught on.

It wasn't until I read the book in adulthood that it became my favorite piece of fiction. I have long felt that if I were to run for the office of dictator and win (although I would try to be a benevolent dictator), To Kill a Mockingbird would be assigned as required reading for all humanity. While I understand it seems unlikely I'll be elected Dictator Martin Griggs, I recommend everyone go ahead and read the book now, just in case.

Realizing that my 'live to read' mentality isn't universal, as dictator, being all benevolent and everything, I'd allow those who didn't want to read, the option of watching the movie. Rarely do I think a movie does a book justice but I'd make an exception in this case.

Imagine it. What if everyone read or watched To Kill a Mockingbird and understood what Harper Lee was saying about prejudice and judgement? What if, by reading the story, people examined and understood the source of their fear regarding race and difference and acknowledged it? What if, after reading the book, people tried harder to be like Atticus Finch?

Atticus said a lot of great things. Perhaps the most significant, though was when he said to Scout, "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view."
 

Racial tension is alive and well in our culture. And gender tension. And sexual orientation tension. And financial policy tension. And political  party tension. And a myriad other tensions. How would that change if we collectively modeled Atticus and simply considered things from the other person's point of view?
 
Maybe we wouldn't judge. Maybe we wouldn't condemn. Maybe we wouldn't harm.

Maybe we'd make the world a better place for everyone.

Amen, Atticus. Amen.
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment