Thursday, April 14, 2011

These are Medicinal Herbs. Honest!

I am working on dissertation revisions again. Dissertation writing is arduous and has a way of depleting my energy, so it seems that when I reach the height of dissertation work I naturally gravitate toward something else that has a more creative quality to it. Then both sides of my brain are happy and my energy is restored. A happy brain and restored energy make me a nicer person.

I think that’s called balance.

The current diversion: making and consuming herbal infusions. Yes, my time and attention when I’m not working on my dissertation (or when I supposed to be working on my dissertation but choosing not to) has turned to researching the medicinal effects of taking certain dried herbs, putting them in a jar, covering the herbs with boiling water, capping it, letting it set overnight and consuming it the next day.

So far I’ve made infusions out of oatstraw and stinging nettles and while I understand that the effects of herbal remedies are realized over the long haul, I’m not sure I’m really going to be committed to drinking this stuff for the rest of my life. We’ll see. Somehow these concoctions lack what you might call, ‘curb appeal.’ Stems and leaves floating in green water isn’t all that appetizing, I must admit. I’m willing to give it some time and it is interesting to try new herbs but I’m pretty sure without some recognizable physical changes this might be a short lived experiment.

Most of what I’ve learned about herbal infusions comes from the website of a woman named Susun Weed. So, for starters, her name is a little suspect. I mean, from what I can tell, she knows her herbs and while she might not fit cultural norms of beauty, she has a certain beauty in her countenance and convivial manner. I’m skeptical, however, of her name. Really? Weed? And, I’m willing to bet when she was born her parents named her Susan, along with half the other parents in the US. I’m pretty sure she altered the spelling. ‘Weed’ might be just a bit too convenient of a name for an herbalist.

Regardless, I go along with Susun’s recommendations and claims of great health and energy by concocting jars of steeping straw in my kitchen. I’ve asked myself why I am doing this. Certainly others have asked me why I’m doing this!

According to Susun some of these herbs can enhance lactation. That’s fine. Except, I’ve no need for lactating at this stage of my life. Some of the herbs are supposed to be able to remedy health issues. But I don’t have any real health issues. I was hoping the outcome would be a renewed zeal for finishing my dissertation or some terrific insight into my research that makes all of the loose ends tie up neatly. So far the only outcome I’ve found is the laughter and joking that comes from my children finding the stash of little plastic bags of dried green leaves.

Perhaps their laughter is the best reason of all.

I’m not looking for some magic elixir to make me live forever because I am not all that concerned about how long I live. But while I’m alive; I want to live. I want to learn interesting things and have new experiences. I want relationships that are meaningful and I want laughter to fill my home and my life. I want to balance hard work with frivolity, sorrow with happiness, and quiet with noise.

As long as I’m alive, I want it all.

So while oatstraw may be a passing fancy, I intend to keep love and laughter around for as long as I can. And by way of balance, I think I’ll make some oatstraw infusion, and a rich chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment